This is seriously THE BEST CAKE I have ever eaten (or made for that matter)!
Vegan German Chocolate Cake
3 cups flour 2 cups sugar 2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder 3/4 cup oil 1 tsp vanilla 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 1 1/2 cups water
1. Mix the dry ingredients, make a well and then add the wet ones in the center. Mix until smooth, you can use a mixer if you want, but not necessary.
2. Prepare pan(s) by greasing and flouring lightly. Pour into 24 cupcake pans, two 9-inch pans, or one 9X11-inch pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes (cupcakes), 30 minutes (9-inch) or 50 minutes (9X11). Test with a toothpick to make sure it is done all the way through. Let the cake cool before applying the frosting.
1 cup plain soymilk
1/3 cup coconut milk from can
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water until smooth
2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (if unsweetend, just add another 1/8 cup sugar)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
1. In a medium saucepan, mix the soymilk, coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla together.
2. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Cook for one minute after it boils. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
3. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes (mixture should still be warm) before spreading on cake.